If you’re undergoing a joint replacement surgery, preoperative care is mandatory to ensure maximum safety and efficacy of the procedure. Given below are some important instructions which you must follow before opting for a knee or hip replacement surgery.
• If you happen to be a smoker, massively cut down on smoking or quit it altogether. Smoking disrupts the blood circulation, delays the healing of wounds and increases the overall recovery time.
• If you’re obese, the extra weight will put increased stress on your replaced joint. Hence, your surgeon may recommend a short weight reduction program before the surgery.
• In case you drink beer, wine or any other alcoholic beverage, completely stop its consumption at least 48 to 72 hours before the surgery.
• Your surgeon may also recommend body-strengthening exercises before you undergo the surgery. Such exercises toughen up your upper body due to which it becomes easy for you to use crutches or walker right after the surgery.
• Your surgeon may also recommend some isometric exercises for strengthening the leg muscles. Make sure you regularly perform these exercises in order to gain the required physique before the surgery.
• Eat a nutritious, well-balanced diet with maximum vitamins and minerals.
• Before the surgical procedure, the doctor will perform a number of preoperative tests which include blood tests, chest x-ray, electrocardiogram (ECG), and urine testing, in order to make sure that you’re not suffering from any kind of infection or disease that may affect your surgery.
• If you’re consuming certain medications for any medical condition, your surgeon may ask you to stop taking the medicines or they may recommend a substitute medicine until the surgery. Medicines like insulin, corticosteroids, and anticoagulants need to be adjusted before and after the surgical procedure.
• Before the surgery, your surgeon may also make you meet the anesthesiologist in order to discuss the type of anesthesia that’ll be used in your surgery, the amount of time in which you’ll gain back consciousness, and more.
Dr. Ronald LaButti is one of the top knee and hip surgeons in Tulsa, Oklahoma who received best of the best award from 2011 – 2016 as a knee and hip surgeon. Patients come from all the United States to recieve care from Dr. LaButti and is trusted by other physicians to treat their family. Dr. LaButti is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and is fellowship-trained in orthopedic surgery and is considered an expert in hip and knee joint replacement surgeries. He’s one of the most reliable choices if you want further details regarding the necessary preoperative care before undergoing a joint replacement surgery or searching for an authentic hip and knee doc for a hip or knee replacement surgery.
Get up! Get Going! Get back to you! Call 918-514-3009 to schedule your appointment today.